Sunday 18 March 2012

One Word One Technique #12

Firstly, Happy  Mothers Day to all those mothers out there! We hope you have a lovely day and maybe get some crafting time in. Welcome to week 12 of One Work, One Technique.


For a reminder of how 'One Word, One Technique' works, click here  for Maxine's introduction.

The prompt for week 12 is:

March Technique - Embossing
This Week's Word - Joy

This week I wanted to share with you a tip I use for making the most of my stash: using embossing powders to change the colours of my alphabets. This technique can also used on embellishments like chipboard. This trick is ideal for those times when you have a font you want to use but the alphabet isn't in a colour that will work for your project. 

First you'll need to ink your letters, it's worth doing these just a couple at a time so that the ink doesn't dry too quickly before you get to using your embossing powder. When embossing I always use the Versamark ink pad as I find this is the best for this technique.  I simply press the letter upside down a few times on the ink pad to get even coverage. Be prepared to get sticky fingers!


When embossing I always work on a scrap piece of paper which I've folded in half. Having the crease in the paper means it's easier to put any excess embossing powder back in the pot. When the letters are inked you can shake over the embossing powder. 


Once all the letters are covered, I always give the paper a few taps or flicks to remove any excess embossing powder, before putting back in the pot. I then use my heat gun to set the powder.


You'll be able to tell that it's setting because the powder looks like it's 'melting'.

Here's my finished page:


And a close up of the embossed letters:


I hope this has inspired to look at your embossing powders in a new way. As always, please leave a link in the comments if you join in with this month's prompts.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous Alexa, I love how bright and cheery your layout is :o) and I've nor tried embossing chipboard letters before but its's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete