Sunday 6 May 2012

One Word One Technique #19

I can't believe it's May already, how did that happen?! Here's the first 'One Word, One Technique' prompt for May:D


For a reminder of how 'One Word, One Technique' works, click here for Maxine's introduction.

The prompt for week 19 is:

May Technique - Misting
This Week's Word - Enjoy

I love misting, so this month's technique is right up my street! I'm still keeping up with the art journal pages, so this month I thought I'd show you how I create a background using mists. Here's the finished page:
I started off with a blank piece of paper from a sketchbook, and some mists. I've used Dylusions spray inks,  and chose four complimentary colours; two shades of blue and two shades of green.
I spritzed both blues and the lighter green onto my non-stick craft mat
I then added a quick spritz of water
I took my paper and smooshed it onto the ink. I wiggled it a little bit, but not too much (you want to end up with bright colours, and if you wiggle too much they run together and end up looking more like mud!). I tend to spray a lot of ink and use a couple of sheets of paper and a small 'mop up' journal to pick it all up with - waste not want not right?!
This is what the first sheet looked like:
I dried the sheets and journal with a heat gun, and then went back and picked up a bit more ink around the edges. Here's the end result::
The next job is to add some detail, so I grabbed a couple of stencils (Dylusions again), and spritzed through one with the light blue and the other with the light green to give a tone on tone effect.
 And to show that you can use anything as a stencil I spritzed through this chipboard sheet, which is the waste from some counters for a board game (Ankh Morpork dollars in case you're wondering!). I used the darker green mist for this to make the circles stand out more.
This is what my pages and mop up journal looked like after all that misting
I added some gesso by scraping some through a stencil, and stamping some on with giant bubble wrap
At this stage I decided that I preferred the one on the left, so I added some stamping and doodling, and that was it!
I hope you enjoyed my tutorial, and have some fun with your mists!
Jules xx


No comments:

Post a Comment